US President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday, August 16, to substantially reduce annual military exercises with South Korea, hours before the Ulchi Freedom Shield training began. Trump said the drills were costly and hostile toward North Korea and linked his decision to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to statements reported by the Associated Press and Axios.
Trump also said South Korean President Lee Jae-myung had declined a recent request to join US efforts concerning the denuclearization of Iran. That was the president's stated explanation; neither the scope of the requested support nor Seoul's account of the exchange was immediately detailed in the reports. South Korea's Defense Ministry said the exercise started on Monday as scheduled and would continue through August 27.
Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the two principal combined exercises that Washington and Seoul conduct each year. The 11-day program was planned to involve about 18,000 South Korean soldiers and to strengthen readiness against North Korean threats. US military officials had described it as defensive training and as an affirmation of the alliance's role in regional security.
The planned activities included computer-assisted command training and field operations, among them live-fire precision targeting and maneuver, a wet-gap crossing and the distribution of prepositioned military equipment. It was not immediately clear which portions would be reduced or how Trump's order would affect participating US forces. The last-minute change therefore left operational details to be settled after training had already begun.
The decision followed renewed tension on the peninsula. North Korea recently resumed ballistic missile tests barred by United Nations resolutions and warned of a strong response to the exercise, which it characterized as preparation for war. Washington and Seoul say the drills are defensive. Democratic Senator Mark Kelly criticized the reduction as shortsighted, while Trump argued that Pyongyang had been respectful during his presidency.
Trump also curtailed major exercises after his 2018 summit with Kim, but their nuclear diplomacy broke down in 2019. He has since expressed interest in renewed talks, while North Korea has continued expanding its nuclear and missile capabilities. Attention will now focus on the final scale of the exercise, Seoul's response and whether the move creates an opening for diplomacy or raises fresh questions about allied readiness.
Comments