Back to Home Johnny Depp Talks Renew Pirates of the Caribbean Return Prospects Entertainment

Johnny Depp Talks Renew Pirates of the Caribbean Return Prospects

Published on August 18, 2026 0 views

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer said discussions are under way with Johnny Depp about a possible return for a sixth Pirates of the Caribbean film, reviving prospects that the actor could again appear as Captain Jack Sparrow. Bruckheimer said on August 17 that the production team is working on a screenplay and hopes to move the project forward, but neither Disney nor Depp has announced an agreement.

The update marks movement rather than a casting confirmation. Bruckheimer has repeatedly expressed interest in bringing Depp back, and he told Entertainment Weekly in 2025 that the actor's participation would depend on how the role is written. The latest remarks indicate that communication continues while the creative team develops the script, with no director, production start or release date publicly confirmed.

Depp led five films in the Disney adventure series between 2003 and 2017. Variety reported that every installment earned more than $650 million worldwide, while Dead Man's Chest and On Stranger Tides each exceeded $1 billion. The character's combination of physical comedy, eccentric speech and shifting loyalties became central to the franchise's commercial identity.

Separate reports have linked Margot Robbie to a new Pirates story and suggested that her character could lead while Sparrow appears in a supporting capacity. Disney and the filmmakers have not formally confirmed that structure, however, and earlier accounts described multiple concepts in development. Any claim about the final cast or the size of either role therefore remains provisional until the studio announces its plan.

A return would carry significance because Depp testified in 2022 that his relationship with Disney had broken down and that he did not intend to reprise Sparrow. Since then, he has resumed work on larger international and Hollywood projects, while Bruckheimer has continued to argue publicly that the character remains difficult to separate from the actor who created the screen performance.

The next decisive steps are a completed screenplay, studio approval and signed cast agreements. Until those occur, Bruckheimer's comments establish active talks and continued development, not an official comeback. The project nevertheless represents the clearest recent indication that Disney's long-running pirate franchise may seek to combine a new lead direction with a limited return by its best-known character.

Sources: Jerry Bruckheimer remarks reported on August 17, 2026; AS MeriStation; Variety; Entertainment Weekly; Entertainment Tonight

Comments